Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What my test scores say about me...

I was a bit scared about taking this test because I didn't know what the results would be, and whether I would be prepared to see them. As with all of us, at some point or another I have said something negative about someone from another ethnic background. This usually happens after I have had some kind of negative interaction with this person, i.e. if they cut me off on the road, which I am notorious for screaming at people for.


I was definitely not looking forward to what the results would say. I am not a racist by any means, but I know that I do have a preference for my own people, if you will. Though my skin is white and I look American, I am Hispanic and proud of it. I don't even feel comfortable when I'm driving through northern Florida and have to go to rest stops. I feel out of place because I don't hear any Spanish, see any Hispanic foods or hear Spanish music from a car stereo.



As I expected, the results suggested a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American, as well as a moderate automatic preference for other people compared to Muslims. I was so embarrassed that my biases were so blatant, but it is something that is out of my control. We all have our biases, we just need to accept that we have them and learn how to deal with them. Hopefully in learning to deal with these feelings you can maybe reduce your automatic preferences over time...or at least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment