Monday, October 25, 2010

Reading the Shells

So I decided to have a reading done at the botanica. I called up Luis (the owner) and we arranged to meet around 1:45 p.m. I don't think he was actually expecting to show up, much less have a consultation with him. He looked very surprised when I came in, but happy all the same because this time he was making money. He charges $22 for the consultations, which take place in a small room toward the back of the shop. He asked me to wait outside the room for a few minutes while he straightened up. 

In the meantime, I looked around the shop for something interesting to talk about. His wife, Maritza, was at the front of the store speaking to a customer on the phone. She leaned up against the counter where they ring people up, and was telling the woman on the phone that she had scorpions, snakes, spiders, birds and tons of other animals. I didn't really understand why she was looking at this huge vending machine they have while she was speaking to the woman on the phone. I decided to ask her what that was about when she hung up. I didn't really know how she would respond to my eavesdropping, but I couldn't pass up on this opportunity. Where were these animals? And why the hell do they have scorpions and spiders? (which I am deathly afraid of) As I expected, she wasn't really in the mood to talk. I approached her and said, "Excuse me, I hope you don't mind, but I couldn't help but overhear that you have animals in the shop. Where exactly are these animals?" To my surprise, she pointed to the huge vending machine. Instead of sodas, the machine is filled with rows and rows of animals wrapped in newspaper. There is a sign on the front that has the prices, which range from about $5 to $12. I don't know why, but I automatically asked her "So I guess that each animal has its different purpose during ceremonies?" a question which I knew the answer to. I guess I was just nervous and blurted out the first thing on my mind. She quickly replied, "Of course," in a kind of snappy tone. At that point, I decided to just end the conversation. This woman is the complete opposite of her husband. He would have explained what the significance of each of the animals is. Instead, she just gave me attitude.


Luckily, Luis was done straightening up and it was time for my consultation. Before stepping into the room, I asked him why a young man who had come in earlier kissed his own hand and touched the ground before greeting Luis. I asked him if I was supposed to do the same thing- I thought maybe out of respect to the saints and/or spirits. He smiled, and told me the young man had done that because he is a babalawo. So I walked in, without kissing the floor (which would have been tremendously embarrassing if I would have done without asking Luis) and sat down. Luis sat across from me. He already decorated the table with a candle, a glass of water and a bottle some kind of perfumed water. He also had a notepad with a pen, and the star of the show, the shells at the center of the table. Instead of reading cards, like Eva does, Luis reads shells. It actually resembles rolling dice, but instead, he studies the way the shells land. He took down my full name and birth date and wrote down words like love, work, etc. He then began praying in some language I didn't even understand. Before grabbing the shells, he asked me if I had my period. I was shocked. Why the hell did he want to know. I told him I didn't, and he explained to me that in all religions, the period is a curse that was given to women. If a woman has her period during a consultation, the person reading the shells cannot physically touch them. Since I answered no, put them in the center of the table and told me to pick them all up, cradle them in my hands, put my hands to my forehead and then bring my hands close to my mouth, as if I was going to whisper a secret to the shells. It might have sounded like a stupid question, but I asked him if I was actually supposed to say something to the shells, to which he replied yes. Even if I didn't want to say something too specific, I should at least ask the shells to show me what I want to see, which I did.


I placed the shells down at the center of the table, and he got started.



-The Consulta- 


One of the first things he asked me is if I have anyone sick in my family, particularly an elderly person. I told him my grandfather is sick. He's diabetic and he's lost a lot of weight. He described my grandfather to me and told me he needs to be very careful with his health. He gave me a "recipe" for a drink that is guaranteed to regulate his sugar. He told me to boil avocado leaves and have my grandfather drink the avocado infused water every day. 


He also told me that I have to be careful with my blood. He asked me if I have any health problems, to which I told him no. He told me to be careful sexually because he sees some kind of problem with my blood in the future.


In terms of children, he told me he could almost guarantee that my first child will be a boy, and he even described me boyfriend to me, without me ever describing him physically to him before. 


One of the last things he said is that I can not trust anyone. I have enemies in many places, even if I haven't looked for them directly. He recommended that I take a bath from the neck down with a specific concoction: I have to boil the "Remove Envy" plant (which he sells) for five minutes, pour the water into a jug, and separate it's contents into three sections. He instructed me to bathe each day with a third of the gallon. But before pouring the water on myself, I have to mix it with a bit of "cascarilla," (which is like a white powder) and a little of flower water. The baths should help get rid of some of the bad energy that people are sending my way. 


He also recommended that I schedule a head cleansing with his wife. The cleanings take place in their own. His wife uses coconut to refresh a person's head, and in turn, bring that person good luck in their endeavors. He told me there is a young lady who visits his wife every time she has a big exam. Maritza performs the ritual, and the young lady passes her tests with flying colors. The service costs about $40. 


I don't how much of this is true or how effective these rituals really are. I also don't know how comfortable I feel with Maritza doing some kind of work on me. She's not very nice. 


What I do know is that it was a very interesting experience. I liked my card reading experience a lot better, but nonetheless, I'm proud that I overcame my fear. In doing so, Luis is opening up to me more. 


I'll keep you guys posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment