Thursday, October 28, 2010

Speaking of Ethnic Politics....


I'm not really big into politics. Of course, I follow what's going on, but I can't sit at a dinner table and just talk politics all the time. 

Putting that aside, I came across this article and just had to say something about it.

http://cbs4.com/defedecolumn/defede.column.rick.2.1984013.html

It's an opinion piece I found on CBS 4's Web site. It addresses the underlying racism in Rick Scott's agenda. The minute I heard Scott wanted to conduct drug tests on everyone receiving government assistance, I thought "O.K. what's wrong with that?" But then it hit me. Wait a minute- who mainly benefits from government aid? Minorities. Why is there an assumption that these people are on drugs? Racism, plain and simple. It's a blatant stereotype. Since blacks and hispanics are lazy and just want to take advantage of the system, they stay at home receiving their welfare checks, and just shoot up or get high all day. Unfortunately, that's what some people think is reality. Why the emphasis on drugs? Some people might be falsifying paperwork. Why not go after that? No, we would focus on drug use, which apparently is rampant among those depending on government aid, i.e. everyone who's not white.

I just had to get that off my chest. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment