Monday, October 18, 2010

What's the Point of Journalism School, Anyway?

This NPR article really got me thinking about my career choice, and how excited and scared I am about what awaits after graduation. Like the article pointed out, journalism isn't necessarily a career you need a degree for. Also, it's a career path that is rapidly changing, or "realigning" as the article put it. This "realigning" is what scares me. What kind of jobs are going to be available to us, and better yet, what will the paychecks be like? I think it's safe to say that a lot of us chose to major in journalism because we actually like it. We all know this isn't a field where you make big bucks, at least not right off the bat. I can also guess that most of us have had to deal with family and friends who don't understand why we chose a career where we're going to have to struggle just to live comfortably. I still don't know if I'll be kicking myself later on in life for choosing this major. What I do know is that I absolutely love the field. I love interviewing people and learning from everyone I meet. I guess that counts for something, right?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130437287&sc=emaf

No comments:

Post a Comment